At The Conference People we take great pride in providing a quality service to our clients whilst limiting the carbon footprint that our events leave behind. If you’re planning a conference, here are a few good green tips. We also try and implement these ideas when managing successful sustainable events for our clients http://www.confpeople.co.uk/greeneventsintro.html
- All catering plates, cups and glasses to be china or glass (non-disposable). If plastic, they must be washable (biodegradable or compostable is better). NO Styrofoam under any circumstances.
- Condiments to be served in bulk containers, not individual servings, to save packaging. This includes sugar, creamer, butter, cream cheese, etc.
- All napkins to be cloth whenever possible. Use coasters instead of cocktail napkins.
- Separate recycling bins for attendees to use at all catered functions, registration, and especially on the exhibit floor.
- All handouts to be printed on two sides using post-consumer recycled paper, or better still, provide all handouts afterwards online.
- Recycled-content promotional products when deciding on pens, bags, shirts and caps.
- Ask hotels not to change the sheets and towels daily unless requested by the guest.
- Ask hotels not to replace the amenities daily unless they are gone. Use of soap and shampoo dispensers would be optimal.
- Ask hotels’ housekeeping staff to shut blinds and turn down the heat/air conditioning during the day in rooms while attendees are gone.
- Feature information about the facilities’ recycling program for all areas.
- Ensure all leftover food is donated to a local food bank.
These tips are just a starting place, but the impact of even these few changes can be dramatic. It has been our experience that most hotels and meeting facilities are willing to work with you-they benefit as well.